1. Constitution day
- Constitution Day or Samvidhan divas, is being celebrated today across the country to mark the adopting of the Indian Constitution by the Constituent Assembly on this day in 1949. It came into force on 26th January, 1950, marking the beginning of a new era in the history of Indian Republic. The government has planned year long activities throughout the country to mark 70 years of the adoption of the Constitution.
- A joint sitting of both the Houses of Parliament will be held today to celebrate the Samvidhan Divas. President Ram NathKovind will address the joint sitting. Vice President Venkaiah Naidu, Prime Minister NarendraModi and LokSabha Speaker Om Birla will also attend the function.
- On the occasion, the President will inaugurate a digital exhibition through video conferencing from the Central Hall of Parliament. In view of the joint sitting at 11 AM, the LokSabha and the RajyaSabha will meet at 2 PM.
- Various sections of the society will do a mass reading of the Preamble to the Constitution at 11:00 am today. It is aimed at reiterating and reorienting the citizens towards the values and principles expressed in the Constitution and encouraging all Indians to play their rightful role in strengthening the Indian Democracy. It also aims to create awareness of Fundamental Duties as enshrined in the Constitution.
2. Smog tower in Delhi
- Smog tower is being planned for the National Capital Region (NCR)-Delhi to create a clean air zone in the region.
- The smog tower is one of the devices to control air pollution in NCR-Delhi.
- It is expected to reduce particulate matter by 50% in the area.
- The filters being installed would use carbon nanofibres as a major component.
- The proposed smog tower is focused only on reducing particulate matter load at present.
- It will majorly help to reduce the severity of air pollution in NCR-Delhi.
- Smog towers are structures designed to work as large-scale air purifiers.
- They are usually fitted with multiple layers of air filters, which clean the air of pollutants as it passes through them.
- China has the world’s largest smog tower and has reduced PM 2.5 by 19% in an area of around 6 sq km in the tower’s vicinity.
3. Assam roofed turtle
- The Assam Roofed Turtle (Pangshura sylhetensis) is a small freshwater turtle.
- Habitat: Primarily in running waters in the hills of northeastern India and northeastern and southeastern Bangladesh.
- Protection Status
- IUCN: Endangered
- CITES: Appendix II.
- India’s Wildlife Protection Act, 1972 : Protected under Schedule I
4. Panna tiger reserve
- The tiger reintroduction project in Panna tiger reserve has completed a decade making it one of the best models of conservation in the world.
- The Panna tiger reserve is situated in the Vindhya mountain range in the northern part of Madhya Pradesh.
- Madhya Pradesh has the highest number of tigers in the country.
- Ken river (a tributary of the Yamuna River) flows through the reserve.
- The region is also famous for Panna diamond mining.
- Ken-Betwa river interlinking project will be located within the tiger reserve
5. National law day
- It was in 1979, when the first proposal was mooted to celebrate November 26 as an anniversary of the adoption of Constitution and assess the state of law in the country as envisaged by the framers of the legal document.
- Noted jurist and former parliamentarian LM Singhvi proposed to in the Supreme Court Bar Association that National Law Day should be celebrated to mark the adoption of Constitution on November 26.
- A resolution was passed by the Supreme Court Bar Association in 1979. The National Law Day was celebrated thereafter till 2015.
6. International day for elimination of violence against women
- United Nations observes 25th November as the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women every year.
- The official theme for 2019 is “Orange the World: Generation Equality Stands Against Rape“.
- The day is observed to honour the Mirabal sisters, three political activists from the Dominican Republic who were brutally murdered in 1960 by order of the country’s ruler, Rafael Trujillo (1930-1961).
- International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women,2019 will mark the launch of 16 days of activism that will conclude on 10 December 2019 (International Human Rights Day).
- For 2020-2022, the UN Secretary-General’s UNiTE (to End Violence against Women campaign) will specifically focus on the issue of rapes committed against women in times of peace or war.