#GS1 #Culture #Important Festivals
Context: Bonalu is a popular religious festival of the Jagadambika Temple on Golconda Fort, Telangana.
- Bonalu is a Hindu Festival where Goddess Mahakali is worshiped.
- It is the state festival of Telangana. It is celebrated in parts of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- The Word Bonalu came from “Bhojanalu” meaning food, which is offered to the goddess during festival time.
- According to the Hindu calendar month of Aashadam, Bonalu festival starts with the religious procession starting from Langar Houz to the temple near Bala Hissar on top of the Golconda Fort.
- It is celebrated during ashada masam. It is believed that during Ashada Maasam, the Goddess comes back to her maternal home.
- Women folk in household prepare rice that is cooked along with Milk, Jaggery in a New Earthen or Brass Pot, which is adorned with Neem Leaves, Turmeric and Vermilion.
- Women carry these pots on their heads and make an offering of Bonam, including Bangles and Saree to the Mother Goddess at Temples.