Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) and trademarks
#GS3 # Indigenization of Technology #Changes in Industrial policy #Innovation
Context: Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has recently secured trademark registrations in three countries – Bhutan, UAE and Mexico.
- This outcome is a big move towards protecting the identity of brand “Khadi” globally.
- So far KVIC was having Trademark registrations for the word mark “KHADI” in 6 countries namely Germany, UK, Australia, Russia, China and EU where trademark registrations were granted in certain classes.
- With this, KVIC has succeeded in securing trademark registration for the first time in a Gulf country.
- However, with recent trademark registrations in Bhutan, UAE and Mexico (In December, 2020), the number of such countries has gone up to nine.
- The development assumes great significance as there have been instances of some private local entities in countries like Mexico and Germany seeking trademark registration for brand name “Khadi” in their respective countries.
- In these countries, KVIC has got registrations in various classes that pertain to Khadi fabric, Khadi readymade garments and village industry products like Khadi soaps, Khadi cosmetics, Khadi incense sticks among others.
- Apart from these countries, KVIC’s trademark applications are pending in 40 countries across the world that include the USA, Qatar, Sri Lanka, Japan, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Brazil and others.
- These trademark registrations will prevent any misuse of the brand name ‘Khadi’ globally.
- This development assumed great significance as there had been instances of some private local entities in countries like Mexico and Germany seeking trademark registration for brand name “Khadi” in their respective countries.
- In Mexico, the KVIC challenged the trademark application of “One Foundation Oaxaca Ac” which had applied for the “Khadi” logo. However, the firm did not challenge KVIC’s objections and trademark registration for the word “Khadi” and “Khadi” logo was granted in favour of KVIC.
- A Trademark means any symbol, word, name, device, numerals or combination of both, which can be represented graphically can be registered as trademark.
- A trademark is unique symbol which distinguishes your goods or services from others. The trademark which is registered for services are known as the service marks.
Advantages of Trademark Registration:
- Exclusive Rights: The owner of Registered Trademark enjoys exclusive right over the trademark.
- Builds trust and Goodwill: The established quality of the product helps in creating permanent customers who are loyal and always opt for the same brand.
- Differentiates Product: It makes easy for customers to find your products.
- Creation of Asset: Registration of Trademark creates an intangible asset i.e. Intellectual Property for an organisation.
- Provides Protection against infringement