Greater One-Horned Rhino:
- There are three species of rhino in Asia — Greater one-horned (Rhinoceros unicornis), Javan and Sumatran.
- Poaching for the horns and habitat loss are the two greatest threats to the survival of Asia’s rhinos.
- The five rhino range nations (India, Bhutan, Nepal, Indonesia and Malaysia) have signed a declaration ‘The New Delhi Declaration on Asian Rhinos 2019’ for the conservation and protection of the species.
- Javan and Sumatran Rhino are critically endangered and the Greater one-horned (or Indian) rhino is vulnerable in IUCN Red List.
- All three listed under Appendix I (CITES).
- Greater one-horned rhino is listed under the Schedule I of the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation:
- The Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) program was launched in 2017 and is funded by Coal India Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). It will be extended for next two years from 2020.
- HSCT refers to the transplantation of stem cells from various sources (bone marrow, growth factor–stimulated peripheral blood, and umbilical cord blood) for the treatment of various diseases like autoimmune, and genetic diseases.
Sickle Cell Disease:
- It is an inherited disease caused by defects, called mutations, in the beta globin gene that helps make hemoglobin. The red blood cells become hard and sticky and look like a C-shaped farm tool called a “sickle”. The sickle cells die early, which causes a constant shortage of red blood cells.
- World Sickle Cell Day 2020 was observed to increase awareness about the Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) at the national level.
-The day is recognised by the United Nations and celebrated every year on 19th June.
National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India:
- It is registered under the Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 2002.
- It was set up in 1958 with the objective to promote cooperative marketing of agricultural produce to benefit the farmers.
Agricultural farmers are the members of the General Body of NAFED, who participate in the decision-making process.